Share content with your friends and fans!

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Techno Granny Story

No, techno granny is not a bunch of "middle aged" women from Bulgaria dancing to Techno music as seen on My Space. Techno Granny is the host of a show designed to hi-light 21st Century Technology in the hopes that more people will use it. Tecno Granny's slogan is, "If I can do it, you can do it." This blog is a bonified sign that I can do it.

Understand that less than five years ago, the best I could do is turn on the computer, search a few web sites and check my e-mail. I was a total computer illiterate. Now I just consider that my computer literacy is sub-standard because as I interview people on my show, I learn right along with my listeners.

I am here to give the non-technical generation hope. When my kids were growing up, it was "modern math" that we did not understand and now it is every other button that we are afraid to push for fear that we may open up pandora's box.

If you are a business owner, then you need to know about Free Conference Calling, Constant Contact, Search Engine Optimization, Blue Tooth Technlogy, Palm Pilots, E-Mail Etiquette.
If you are a parent or business owner you need to know about the dangers of My Space and Face Book and Blogspot but also the benefits. There will always be shady individuals out there who will distort something beneficial to their own perverted purposes, however we are not talking about them.

Protect yourself by all means but if you are not using some of this technology you will be marginalized out of the business arena or at the least will not be able to communicate with your kids or keep up with them.

Here's a funny technology story for you:
The Cell Phone

A young man wanted buy his mother something nice for her birthday. Mom is just a little older than me. So he decides to buy her a cell phone. He explains to her all the features on the phone. She is all excited; she loves her phone. The next day his mom is out shopping. Her phone rings and it's her son, "Hi mom," he says, "how do you like your new phone?" "I just love it, it's so small and your voice is clear as a bell but there's one thing I don't understand. How did you know I was at the supermarket?"
That was me probably ten years ago and I still feel it’s a good day when technology works.

That should not only make you laugh but give you hope that you can learn about technology too.

More on how Techno Granny got started next blog.
(c) Joanne Quinn-Smith 2007

No comments: